You are currently browsing the monthly archive for June 2011.
The flooding in North Dakota is making national headlines as Minot’s Souris River (also known as the Mouse River) crested this weekend at 1561.7 feet, beating the 1881 record of 1558.0 feet. Minot, Bismarck-Mandan and many of their surrounding areas continue to be heavily impacted by the excess water that needs to leave the state.
The Ambassador spirit of the North Dakota people continues as neighbor is helping neighbor, and more importantly, complete strangers are lending a hand to help out their fellow human beings. No questions, no payments, but rather simple thank yous and doing what is right is prevailing in most instances.
There’s been a lot of Ambassador questions about what is really happening and how can they help. Earlier this month we posted our first series of photo links to help you better understand the situation with our post North Dakota Flooding Photo Links. This is a follow-up to that post to provide you some more up-to-date information and imagery from North Dakota. If you have more resources, please feel free to add them I the comments section. As we learn of more we’ll also attempt to update.
- KX News Minot – Facebook Page photo albums featuring many photos from the flooding in Minot and surrounding areas: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.210029399040263.51264.113338562042681#!/media/albums/?id=113338562042681
- KX News Minot – Facebook Live Coverage: http://www.facebook.com/kxnewsminot?sk=app_190322544333196
- KX News Minot – Website offering live UStream coverage from Minot: http://www.kxnet.com/?setCity=min
- KX News Minot – YouTube photo montage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBoclslZ_bg
- New York Times Coverage of the Minot flooding: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/us/27airwaves.html?_r=2&scp=5&sq=minot&st=cse A corresponding slideshow from the story: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2011/06/27/us/20110627_FLOOD-10.html
- North Dakota National Guard Flickr photos – hosts pictures from flooding across the state: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ndguard/collections/72157626806898434/
- BismarckMandan YouTube Channel featuring flood footage videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/bismarckman#p/u
- KFGO’s Mike McFeely’s ariel tour of Minot on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.241463309213504.78119.100000495107353
- ABC News Coverage: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/minot-struggles-record-breaking-floods-13932097
- Presidential Disaster Declaration – Individual assistance has been approved for Burleigh and Ward counties. Residents can apply for FEMA individual assistance online: http://www.disasterassistance.gov/
- Disaster Recovery Center Locations: The Bismarck Disaster Recovery Center will open, June 27 from 1pm to 7pm and be open daily from 7am to 7pm starting tomorrow. Locations: Bismarck – Bank of North Dakota – 1200 Memorial Highway; Minot – Minot City Auditorium, 420 3rd. Ave. SW and Minot State University-MSU Student Center, 500 University Ave. W.
- ND Flood Info – State flood related website offering information about steps to take before, during and after a flood as well as resources available to individuals and businesses: http://www.ndfloodinfo.com
- Donate – Give to the North Dakota Flood Relief Fund through the North Dakota Community Foundation: http://www.ndcf.net/Flood/Index.asp
- Donate – Give to the American Red Cross Mid-Dakota Chapter: http://minotredcross.org/
- Donate – Money for Minot efforts in the Fargo Area: http://www.moneyforminot.com/
North Dakota has been an interesting place to be the last couple of weeks, especially if you live in the Bismarck/Mandan or Minot areas. Flooding from the Missouri and other tributaries has resulted in a whole lot of sandbags, volunteer effort and a tidal wave of spirit that is truly North Dakotan.
We’ve had a few requests for photos and other information about the flooding, so we thought we’d capture them here for our out of state Ambassadors who just want to connect with what’s happening at home. As more photo’s become available we’ll attempt to update the links here.
National Guard Aerial photos of the Bismarck/Mandan area:
KFYR TV – Flood Watch Photos: http://www.facebook.com/NDAmbassador#!/media/set/?set=a.10150190511574103.302989.112109359102
KFYR TV – Sky Spy Photos: http://www.kfyrtv.com/sky_spies.asp
ND Floods 2011 on Facebook Photos: http://www.facebook.com/NDAmbassador#!/NDFloods?sk=photos
KXMB TV – General Coverage and Live Webcasts of Press Conferences: http://www.kxnet.com/
KUMV – TV – Update on the Williston Levy: http://www.kumv.com/News_Stories.asp?news=49560
City of Bismarck-Mandan Flood Photos on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/media/set/?set=a.205594929478482.43735.103403749697601
City of Minot – Flood Information: http://www.minotnd.org/
Mandan Flood Images – courtesy of LPT Images on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/insights/#!/media/set/?set=a.226322220728340.75195.114515201909043
United We Sand – Support the flood fighting efforts by purchasing a United We Sand t-shirt for $15: http://theurlradio.com/569/wesand/
ND Flood 2011 – Bismarck/Mandan area photo montage set to music (awww…): http://ow.ly/58RH1
Live Webcam Overlooking Raging Rivers sandbag site (Any one else see the irony in a sandbag site at Raging Rivers?): http://mandan-news.com/2011/05/sandbag/
June 4, 2011 – Bismarck Emergency Management Fly-Over Photos on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=pa.1406190033#!/media/set/?set=a.10150190113061653.304144.77845116652
Sam Sprynczynatyk Video of Flooding: http://www.vimeo.com/24644149
Corp of Engineers Photos on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=pa.1406190033#!/media/set/?set=a.228717490488836.75028.136693759691210
Aerial Photos and Lakewood Area by Ken Yetter: http://kenyetter.smugmug.com/Events/2011-Flood/17375744_qMnG4K#1320689728_k8rCPKR